Sunday, June 23, 2019

Watching Red Shouldered hawk family

First off been awhile and I'm thinking of starting this back up so if you happen to like this at all please leave a smiley or something as a comment to let me know and of course share it if you could.

Now for the topic, this year I had the great pleasure of having a red shouldered hawk couple choose to nest in a tree that I can see from my living room. This meant that I could watch the entire process literally everyday. 

First off, I was shocked at the size of the nest. I would think it would be big for such a big bird but it was shockingly small and easily missed if I didn't know it was there. 

Red shouldered hawk nest
The first flights in started in the middle of March. We had a few strong spring storms that had me concerned but the nest location seems perfect and nothing bothered them. One would stay on the nest while the other hunted and the hunter would scream when she/he had something and they would join up in a nearby tree.
Red shouldered hawk with a snake for lunch
By early April I could tell something had hatched by the parents behavior but had to wait till mid month to actually see the little heads. The cuteness was overwhelming.

Red shouldered hawk feeding young chicks
For days I could watch the little ones getting fed. It was easy to know when it was feeding time as mom and dad would scream as they returned with food. In some cases like the below video, they both would be at the nest with food.  

Red shoulder hawk nest with hatchlings
The fact that this nest was visible from my yard and the parents hunted in the neighborhood, I really got to watch all aspects of this process and all while still getting spring yard work done, does it get any better than that? I think not!

Red shouldered hawk chicks growing fast
Within two weeks of seeing their little heads the tree was full of leaves and they were getting their adult feathers. One more week and they looked like adult birds and were starting to venture out of the nest and onto connecting limbs.

Red shouldered hawk Looking all grown up
Young red shouldered hawk gaining that needed courage
Their parents both made continuous trips to the nest everyday to feed these quickly growing red shouldered hawk chicks. Main meals I saw where mice and snakes. I would see squirrels in their tree and close to the nest and they never bothered them nor did they bother anyone at my many bird feeders.

Red shouldered hawk leaving nest
Red shouldered hawk in flight
Soon the three red shouldered chicks where looking like they were ready to venture out in the big world. 
Young red shouldered hawks growing
Then one day I came home from work looked across the street and no one was on the big branch and I knew, it had happened. I walked over and looked up to an empty tree. I said a thank you to Mother Nature for sharing them and wished them luck wherever they were.

The next day to my shock there was a chick on the roosting branch staring at me. I was excited but a little confused. But seems they were must have been hiding in the other trees connected to their nest tree. I went over and found all three hiding in the branches of the trees. 

Red shouldered hawk chick explores the tree canopy and yells for mom
So now it's the end of May and they are exploring the trees doing short flights to branches. Sometimes learning the hard way what limbs can hold them and what ones can't. But mom and dad are right there watching and helping them along or maybe laughing at them like me but who really knows what they think but they were always there. 

Red shouldered hawk parent
Through June the chicks continue to grow and look more and more like adult hawks. The neighborhood is clean of snakes and full of the feathers of the five hawk family. The young ones are still learning the art of flying in the woods but they are a joy to watch.

Immature red shouldered hawk
Trail cam footage of an immature red shouldered hawk
I'm so glad I have been able to watch this family for all these months and I sincerely hope this is a yearly tradition.



2 comments:

  1. Let me know if you enjoyed this and would read more if I start this back up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi just happened to see your blog mentioned on a Facebook group page. I have a blog that just turned 10 on the 24. The name of the blog is:
    Red-shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond

    You can find it at:
    tingsgrove.blogspot.com

    I also have a page on Facebook that directs right to it called:
    Photography by Mary Howell Cromer


    You got some great shots and video clips. How very blessed you were to have a nest so near.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete