Saturday, April 24, 2010

Recovery time


So I haven't yet got over the fact that I'm not going to be able to watch the bluebird family this year. Still not sure what happened but time to move on. It's late April and the hummingbirds should be showing up any time now. So it's time to get out the hummingbird feeders. This year I purchased a new glass one that pretty to look at even without the hummingbirds but I hope they like it. I still have their old favorite out but time will tell if they like the new one.

When looking for bird supplies on the web, I came across Hummingbird Houses. Well, they call them "houses" but they are just a metal branch with some fake leaves. Of course they sound like they work great in the description and instructions but then again that's just plain good marketing. The instructions also seem to be really focused on the New Mexico area where the company is and of course a high population of different hummingbirds. Here in Kentucky, we have one type but they are still an amazing little bird. My little Ruby Throated friends come back every year but we'll see if they like the new feeder and what they think of the "houses" which I have two of.

The houses like I said are just metal branches with a built in area that's perfect for their little nests. The fake leaves are for them to perch on or at least that's what the instructions say. But we'll see. I also purchased a cage of nest building material to hopefully encourage they a little bit more to build a nest right under the eaves of the house.

If interested in the hummingbird houses or nest material check out www.duncraft.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment