Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Masked Bandits

Okay so I'm a nature loving fool but my neighborhood masked bandits have stolen one too many suet bricks and now it's war. It all started about 2 months ago when the first raccoon was spotted on my deck at the regular bird feeder. At first it was cool because I actually like raccoons. It was about this time that my first suet brick disappeared. About a week later, I spotted three bandits on the deck and thought okay that's a little much and I need to do something.

The local stores didn't have anything that I thought would work but online I found a 36" pole that attached to the deck and swings in and out to fill up. Perfect - order two! Well, this worked for about a week and sure enough another suet brick disappeared during the night and the arm was swung in like they were asking me to refill it. Now, if they can't swing it in they just climb out it and with their weight they have managed to break one of the deck boards. So this is WAR! I finally have woodpeckers at my suet feeder and these bandits are not going to ruin that. Tonight I decided to research what to do and thought I'd share one set of "Tips" with you.

  • Fastening a pipe around the pole of the feeder that moves when raccoons step on it. This can be an old stove pipe or a piece of hard plastic tubing. Make sure it's not ridged on the outside, or the squirrels and raccoons will find a way to climb up. Pairing this with a baffle may deter the raccoons from trying to climb the feeder. (Going to try this one)
  • Hang your feeders away from tree branches, structures or sheds that raccoons can use to get to them (DUH)
  • Try a “bird feeder clothesline” - drive two poles into the ground and string a line between them. String empty pop bottles lengthwise along the line, and hang the feeder between the bottles. If an animal attempts to step on the clothesline, they'll be spun off by the rotating bottles. (White Trash bird feeding - not going to happen in my yard)
  • Use a raccoon or squirrel repellent. They're perfectly safe for the animals and can be found at any pet or birding store. (I can only imagine what this smells like - so NO WAY)
  • If nothing else works, try taking your feeders into your garage or shed at night, or, if you don't have an enclosed area, invest in a raccoon-proof container to store your feeders and seed. (Double DUH but too much work to bring all the feeders in at night)
Well, that's the research. Look for updates on what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment