Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Blog name...

Well, let's hope this blog that is for the birds doesn't end up being "For the Birds." I've wanted for awhile to start a blog. First criteria was a subject that would give me enough good content to justify what I want to be a nice blog. Second was that it wouldn't get me fired! So, this one goes to the safe and ever loving love of birds.

Birds are something that I grow up loving. Blame it on my Audubon loving Grandmother that kept a daily chart of all birds seen. From as young as I can remember it was always a special treat to mark off the birds for the day. The mornings at her house I would run out to be the first to mark off the chickadee or maybe that titmouse or cardinal or whatever feathered friend caught your eye first. I would happily grab that clipboard and put a little check mark in the box on the appropriate line of that perfectly aligned graph paper. As I grow older I gained the honor of creating the next month's chart, first row - dates - first column contained the names of the birds. No birds could be added till they were seen but the first day was always full of those everyday feeder visitors so there was a good many to write. What an honor to be the one to write the bird in your own handwriting for the whole family to see!

So fast forward quite a few years and here I am still loving birds. Every spring I find myself wondering if this year will be the year that the bluebirds stay in my yard. Well, I've been in this house almost 9 years and I'm happy to report that year has finally come. Every year the bluebirds start building a nest in one of my birdhouses but would always abandon it and others would happily move in - usually the little house wrens. Last year, however I has very happy to have a chickadee family move in and produce the cutest little chick. But this year, for whatever reason they STAYED! I'm so happy! So as you can imagine one big subject will be my family of bluebirds among a few other subjects.

Well, hope you enjoy and here's hoping it's a good blog "For the Birds"

No comments:

Post a Comment