Saturday, April 24, 2010

Crack whores of the bird world

My yard has been taken over by the birds I like to call the "Crack Whores" of the bird world - the Cowbird! It's the one and only bird we were allowed to shoot growing up and right now I wish I owned some bird shot!

Why do I call them crack whores? Well, it's easy. They get pregnant then say "Hold up! I don't have time to build a nest, sit on an egg and feed my kid" so they let others do it for them. They find other birds' nest, kick one of the eggs out and lay their own in that birds' nest. The unknowing victim birds then raises the Cowbird young for them while the Crack whore goes on partying without a care in the world. Oh and it's not a one time thing either, that crack whore female can lay up to three dozen eggs in one summer. Other thing is that usually the Cowbird chick is larger than than other chicks so it will take most the food and the other chicks will die.

Now tell me if you agree with the name. I think rather than the Brown-headed Cowbird I might petition the Audubon society to change the name to Crack-whore Cowbird.

I would put a picture up by I will NEVER take a picture of this bird unless it's after I purchase and successfully test the use of bird shot or maybe a high-powered bb-gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment