Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sad and happy update

I returned today from a four day trip and was excited to check on my baby chickadees and see if the bluebird eggs had hatched. I was home about 10 minutes before I took my dog out and happily checked the houses. First up was the bluebird house and upon taking a cell phone pic through the hole I could tell then had hatched. One other clue was that mama bluebird was not happy with me messing with her home. She didn't mind when they were eggs but now she minds.









Next up was to snap a picture of the chickadees to see their progress. I knocked on the side of the house to make sure mom and dad were out and then slid my cell phone in the crack to snap a quick pic. To my shocking surprise, the box was empty. Not just no babies but no nest. I lifted the door and my fears were confirmed, EMPTY! I take a quick look around and see the nest on the other side of the fence in a ball. I have no clue what happened, but this was no snake or raccoon - this was done by a human and I will find out why!

Despite it all, I'm excited to watch the bluebirds grow and hopefully we'll have a few more batches of eggs this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment