Friday, May 14, 2010

Bluebirds - Round 2


Well, I'm very happy to announce that the reason I started this blog is back in motion. My pair of bluebirds have taken up a new residence in another one of my birdhouses. Of course, this one is sort of funny. It's an old house that when out in the yard no feathered friends showed an interest in it. After about five years, I decided to replace it this year.

What makes it funny is that I actually put that house in the garbage then thought maybe I would put it out somewhere different so saved it from the clutches of Waste Management. I hadn't decided where to put it yet and simply set it in the corner of the deck railing.

A few weeks ago I went to move it and notice grass sticking out the bottom, thought it was strange, looked inside and there was the beginnings of a nest. About a week later I looked again and the same beginnings so I thought once again they simple hate this house. I cleaned it out and left it sit out of the way. Well, low and behold last weekend it started filling up again, this time more than before.

Earlier in the week I caught a female bluebird near it with a beak full of nesting material and thought "no way" - well 'yes way!' I decided to take a peek this evening and BAM at least three eggs and yes they are bluebird eggs. The proud parents are right there on the wires above. I've now secured the house to the deck and hoping that this nest lasts through the entire cycle of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment