Monday, May 17, 2010

Fun little guy


If you have a feeder and especially a suet feeder then you've most likely seen this little guy, the Nuthatch. Talk about a bird that loves to be upside-down, that's this feathered friend. I've rarely seen them on flat surfaces except when they jump from my suet feeder to the deck for one quick review of whether to fly off or jump back on the feeder.

At my parents house they are often climbing up and down the bark of all their trees and really fun to watch. Their claws are meant for holding onto bark and not like any of the other 'normal' birds you'll see around the feeder especially in proportion to their size. They also have a nice sized beak which looks like it'd be good for getting bugs but I have to be honest and say I've only ever seen them eating at the feeders which doesn't require much of a beak just ask the neighborhood squirrels.

But one thing about the nuthatch that I can't figure out is how it got it's name, but I wonder that about a lot of birds like the Catbird! But that's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment