Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Fitting Name


How could anyone not love the little chickadee? This is one bird that if you have a feeder out you will see and if you don't know it's a chickadee then just wait till you hear its call. This little guy proudly announces his presence over and over...chick-a-dee-dee-dee, chick-a-dee-dee-dee. If you hear that then you've got one of this little feathered friends near by.

One other thing about this guys is that they are loyal to their home, no migration here. If you have them in your yard they will be there all year round through snow and rain and heat of day, they will gladly visit your feeder usually for a quick seed grab and run but don't worry they will be right back for another.

I was lucky enough last year to have a couple take residence in one of my bluebird houses and actually got to see the one little chick they raised. Talk about cute - the young are the cutest with their fluffy feathers. Now, I'm happy to announce that I believe this year they have moved next door to my neighbors wren house so hopefully we'll have one or more little fluffy friends again. I hope to get pictures of the young this year and if and when I do I'll be sure to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment